Rent out your roof for photovoltaics
Do you have a large unused roof area from 1,000 square metres? Rent out your roof for a PV installation and earn money!
Large unused roof areas are particularly suitable for rental purposes. This includes roofs with an area of at least 1,000 m² such as on industrial halls, warehouses, factories or commercial buildings. Owners of buildings benefit from renting out their roof space for photovoltaics, as they can decide whether they wish to have their roof renovated or receive a rental payment. The experts at SENS will be happy to advise you and check whether your roof is suitable for renting. No effort is involved on your part - SENS will look for a suitable investor, take care of the roof renovation, if necessary, install the photovoltaic system and provide additional service.
What are the advantages of renting a roof for a solar system?
The procedure: This is how you rent out your roof space for photovoltaics
Request a rental offer
Cost calculation & offer
Select an investor
Conclude the rental agreement
Start of construction
What requirements must a roof meet for the installation of a photovoltaic system?
- The roof area should be at least 1,000 m²
- The roof should be new or you will optionally receive a free roof renovation instead of rental payments - this is especially relevant for old corrugated fibre cement roofs (“asbestos")
- The roof area should be as shade-free as possible
- The roof should not be north-facing
- You are the owner and can have a first level easement registered
The most frequently asked questions on the subject of renting out a roof
You will usually receive the rental payment from the investor when the installation is connected to the grid (first feed of the generated electricity into the grid).
The renting party builds the installation and operates it. You as the owner of the roof area have “nothing to do” with the photovoltaic system. The electricity is fed into the grid via an extra meter, if necessary via your transformer or that of the renting party, and the quantity is measured. The renting party then receives money from the direct marketer. Except in the case of defects and maintenance, where technicians have to enter the plant, you will not notice anything of the PV system on your roof. No one enters your property without prior notice - this is also contractually agreed!
This must be checked in each individual case and depends on the location, orientation and sunlight. Today, in addition to purely south-facing systems, many east-west systems are also built, which are also extremely attractive from an economic point of view. Only pure north-facing roofs are out of the question, due to their orientation and the resulting rather low yield. Ask us and we will clarify the possible uses of your roof area!
No, when renting out roof space for a solar system, it is advisable that the roof surface is at least 1,000 square meters, ideally is new and free from shade. We would be happy to help you assess whether your roof is suitable for a PV system.
The procedure for renting out a roof for a photovoltaic system is as follows:
- Request a rental offer
- Personal consultation with recording of the data (roof area, roofing material, insulation)
- On-site appointment with inspection of the roof (detailed measurement, statics, need for renovation)
- Cost calculation & offer
- Choice of a suitable investor
- Conclude the rental agreement
- Start of construction
In individual cases this can be very attractive, please contact us!
There are no costs for the owner of the building, except for the registration of the easement.
You will receive annual payments for the duration of the plant operation, usually 20, 25 or 30 years. Alternatively, you can also choose a high one-off payment right at the beginning!
You will receive a rental offer from an investor who has been checked by us.
- Location and address of the building
- Pictures from the outside and if necessary from the inside (roof truss)
- Information on the use of the building
- Extract from the land register
- Official site plan
- Signed power of attorney for the grid enquiry to the energy supplier